Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Prayer
Every time we pray, we ask. For strength or happiness or health or success. Sometimes our asking is directed toward an idol in front of us. We go into a temple or church and kneel and bow our heads. For we feel that whatever this idol symbolizes, controls things that are out of our very human control.
We give our god a form by looking at him/her through messengers or deities that imbibe the powers that we do not ( or we think we do not) hold so that he/she becomes more comprehensible to our limited(or so we think) intellect!
And then some of us decide that if we can't even understand what god is, we shouldn't assign a form to that god. The form only gets in they way of what we really want. I agree with that

But then what do we want from life in the end? Really. How long will our material acquisitions keep us happy? And aren't we perhaps being greedy by continuously asking? And when our wishes are fulfilled, how do we give back to god? Burn incense, donate our time or money to charitable causes?
Maybe god sees it as a good thing to do, but has anyone asked god what he/she really wants?
I mean supposedly there is an entire universe to take care of, does he/she need any help with that besides our little charitable attempts?
Hindu's believe that the divine is responsible for creation, sustenance and destruction. It's a cycle that gets repeated over and over again. And the whole point of that is...? God knows...I sure don't!
I guess we are really giving a hand with the destruction part for now though.

All I know is that I was born and now I have to live until I die. If some good comes out of my life...that's good. And if I die uncared for or unloved or unrecognised...that's just fine.
Will I be happy? I think so
Does it really matter? No
Will any one really care? Not really besides me!
Feel free to share your opinion.
In the meanwhile here is a Sikh prayer (with translation)that I really really really like, because it doesn't ask for anything. These are the opening lines to the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
In my mind they are beautiful and no matter how many times I repeat it, when I get to the end, I want to repeat it again and again and again (sometimes my brain is like a gramophone stuck on a record). If you're wondering whether I'm Sikh, I'm not and it doesn't matter. Just like idols can get in the way of what is really important, many times the same is true of religion.

Mool Mantar
Ik Onkaar
There is only one God
Sat Naam
His Name is Truth
Karta Purkh
He is the Creator
Nir Bhau
He is without fear
Nir Vair
He is without hate
Akaal Moorat
He is beyond time (Immortal)
Ajooni
He is beyond birth and death
Saibhang
He is self-existent
Gur Parsaad
He is realised by the Guru's grace.
Jap
Recite this prayer
Aad Sach
He existed in the beginning and was the Truth
Jugad Sach
He has been existing through the ages as the Truth
Haibhi Sach
Even now he Is . The truth
Nanak ho se bhi sach
Nanak says that this Truth shall forever be.
Sochai soch na hovayi je sochi lakhvaar.
Cleansing the body cannot make the mind clean.
Chupai chup na hovayi je laye rahaa livtaar.
The mind cannot be silenced by remaining silence continuously.
Bhukheya bhukh na utari je banna puriya bhaar.
Greed cannot be ended by being given an abundance of wealth.
Sehas syanpaa lakh hohe ta ik na chalai naal.
Even if ones cleverness was to become infinite, this intelligence and shrewdness is not the way to God.
Kiv sacheyara hoyiyai kiv koode tuttai paal.
How can one be true and pure enough to be on the path to God?
Hukam rajaee challnaa Nanak likheya naal.
By leading life according to God's will.

PS: I've added a link to YouTube for the song from the movie Rang de Basanti. If you missed it in the text, here it is again:











1 comment:

Sunil said...

Hi there,
Thanks for the linked me.
In Bhagwat Gita Lord Krishna narrated that every living soul must preach meditation. And the meditation should be done at a silent & clean place. So temples were formed (Silence, cleanness & a good state of mind).
Then came the concept of idol worshiping. On the path to perfect yoga the first sutra is to get rid of EGO. So the idols were kept in temples.
And if a person can't bow down to the idol thinking it's nothing but a stone then the person is still filled with Ego and disqualifies to called a Yogi.

Thanks for stating the meaning of 'Ik Onkar'. I really like this prayer (Rang de Basanti). But i wasn't aware of its actual meaning.

I once scribbled in my diary that The divine has given us everything we need to stay happy(Nature, beauty, friends, love, emotions...) but still be tend to search happiness where it is not available.


Hope I've not gone too far.
Have a nice time. :)